Saturday, March 6, 2010

The queen of shit-brown roux!

Yes, its official... If you need to create a roux that looks like over-cooked refried beans mixed with dukey I'm your girl!

Sometimes I wonder what my role is in my class... I'm kind of loud yet still a little guarded and shy.. I sit right up front center but I never yell out answers! I just kind of smile and try to learn as much as I can..

There's some people in my class who seemed to have it all figured out already, we JUST started learning how to make a roux and personally, i never knew what the hell it was outside of seeing the contestants on Top Chef making them here and there... So when everyone in my class is asking a billion questions that go way over my head I feel a little intimidated...

So you can imagine my joy today when we actually had to put our knowledge to the test! Today we actually cooked our roux's and made them into sauces! Our first official day of cooking!

Once Chef explained our instructions everyone kind of dawdled around... the "brainiacs" were getting their exact measurements and started doing their roux like they were the cats pajamas, but I hate to admit that there is a little pleasure that comes out of the fact that mine actually came out great! I took control of my group and wasnt afraid to just dive in, I mean, that's what you gotta do to be a chef, control your kitchen!

Now I adore everyone in my class, but i couldnt help but just chuckle to myself about the failed attempts of my colleagues.. And our roux ended up being over-cooked so I dont pretend to be Top Chef Status, but its just nice that everyone can accept a little humility now...

So my bechamel sauce was starchy and a little thick but the flavor was perfect! And we had to re-work our espangole sauce at the last minute but overall we did our best and it was SO SO SO much fun to get our aprons dirty!

Its been a nice relaxing evening, Kenny and I did a little vlog, I edited it and posted it on youtube. I think we are ready for bed now though.. i wouldnt be suprised if Kenny wasnt passed out on the couch already!

Gonna lay my head down and enjoy a good nights sleep tonight! AMEN!

Til next time

Toota Loo

No comments:

Post a Comment